How to initiate the first kiss with someone new
Knowing how to kiss is the most useful tool to have in your dating arsenal. But once you’ve got that mastered, how do you actually pluck up the courage to make the damn move? Being the one to initiate the first kiss with someone new is often a little bit daunting.
If you’re like me and second guess yourself 24/7 and never really believe someone could actually fancy you enough to, y’know, make out with you, it can be a living nightmare. Sometimes though, you just have to get over than self-doubt, embrace the nerves and just kiss them FFS.
Here, people who’ve initiated the first kiss explain how they did it.
1. “After kissing him on the cheek three days prior, and telling him I wanted to go further, I asked him if he wanted to kiss me, and he responded yes. And it happened.”
2. “I surprised my partner by taking initiative for the first kiss. We talked beforehand about what would happen if we made out, and we both agreed that it was a bad idea and we shouldn’t do it… as we didn’t want to ruin our friendship. Then about 30 minutes later, I just went for it and he was really happy that I did, as I knew he wanted to. I wouldn’t normally recommend that approach, but somehow it worked out for us.”
3. “One of us had to take charge. We had been friends beforehand, but sort of started dating after mutual friends told us that we both had feelings for each other. Anyway, we were cuddled up on the sofa watching a movie. She just looked so pretty, and I had the urge that I wanted to kiss her. So I just went and kissed her on the cheek. She then turned to me and kissed me on the lips. Find a moment when you’re together, and it feels right, and go for it. And if you’re not sure about kissing them on the lips, go for the cheek or if they’re being a bit dense just tell them, ‘kiss me you dummy’.”
4. “It was the end of our first date and we were saying goodbye at the door. I just asked him if I could kiss him, and he said yes. Then we kissed!”
5. “If you’re already holding hands while walking around – which is lovely – at some point if the urge to kiss them bubbles up, give them a kiss on the back of their hand holding your hand. Or on their cheek. No one says you have to start with lips.”
6. “Honestly, just wait until you’re kinda cuddled up, and go for it. I guarantee that will break the ice. Just a small kiss. Lean in, kiss him/her softly, and only make it last two seconds or so. Then take it from there. But seriously, after the first one, it’s all gravy from there.”
7. “I said, ‘you should kiss me’ or, ‘we should kiss now‘.”
8. “I just leaned in and did it. I almost head-butted him. My SO just informed me that I definitely hit him with my teeth. I was just excited.”
9. “You cuddle, get close, maybe interlace your hands or something. Then look at them, make good eye contact, and then lean your face in and tilt your face up towards their lips. They’ll go for it, I promise.”
Source: UK Cosmo